2017 SGO Early Career Educational Summit
The next SGO Early Career Educational Summit will be held Sept. 9-10, 2017, at the Hyatt Centric Magnificent Mile 633 N. St. Clair St. in downtown Chicago. Attendees of the Early Career Educational Summit will learn the secrets on how to successfully navigate the early years of gynecologic oncology. Topics of discussion may include:
- Potential career opportunities
- Navigating academics
- Research pathways
- Securing grant funding
- Balancing personal and professional lives
This one-and-a-half-day course is designed to balance the scientific and clinical education with career development. There will be a special focus on what to expect in preparing for and taking exams, researching and funding for research, negotiating the many levels of practice and practice environments, determining specific career paths, and how these elements combine to impact treatment and patient outcomes. This summit also offers an opportunity in several forums to interact with SGO leadership and faculty who have developed successful careers in academic medicine and community practice.
At the conclusion of the course learners will be able to:
- Demonstrate effective techniques for defining a career in gynecologic oncology in order to effectively develop specialties to ensure a professionally and personally fulfilling career.
- Demonstrate successful paradigms for procuring funding through contract negotiation and grants.
- Review necessary steps to successfully transition from early career to more advanced practice.
This educational activity has been developed to meet the needs of gynecologic surgeons, OB/Gyn Residents and Fellows, and Junior Faculty. For attendees visiting Chicago from out of town, take a look at SGO’s Chicago staff picks for where to go and what to do over the weekend.