SGO Issues Dec. 19, 2019
Dr. Jonathan Berek honored by American Cancer Society
SGO Issues top 10 stories of 2019
SGO 2020 Board of Directors election: Cast your vote
SGO 50th anniversary content on SGO50.org
Member alert regarding mailing list solicitations
SGO member Jonathan S. Berek, MD, MMS, was the American Cancer Society Honoree at their annual Discovery Gala held in San Francisco on Oct. 5. The Award was given to Dr. Berek in recognition of a lifetime of achievement and his many contributions as a women’s cancer researcher and clinician. Dr. Berek is the Laurie Kraus Lacob Professor at the Stanford University School of Medicine and a recent past Fellow in the Stanford Distinguished Careers Institute. He helped establish and is the Director of the Stanford Women’s Cancer Center, which is one of the first programs in the nation to combine breast and gynecologic oncology with a women’s cancer care, translational research, genetics and supportive services programs. He serves as Senior Advisor, Stanford Cancer Institute, and served as Chair of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology from 2005-2017.
As SGO winds down its 50th anniversary year, SGO Issues takes a look back at the top 10 stories from 2019:
- Oct. 3: Reflecting on an adverse outcome – perspectives from a trainer and a trainee
- March 7: Online schedule for 2019 SGO Annual Meeting now available
- Feb. 21: Combating compassion fatigue | Kimberly E. Resnick, MD
- May 23: Wellness Q & A with SGO President Warner K. Huh, MD
- Feb. 7: SGO adopts code of ethics for members
- Jan. 10: Changes to Sentinel Lymph Node coding for 2019 | Chirag A. Shah, MD
- Dec. 5: Coding Corner: Use of Modifiers 24 and 25 to ensure reimbursement | Cheryl C. Saenz, MD
- June 20: Fitness into a Specialty | J. Brian Szender, MD, MPH
- Apr. 25: SGO welcomes 32 new, 52 transitioning members
- June 6: Survey of sexual harassment and gender disparities among gynecologic oncologists | Marina Stasenko, MD
SGO Issues will return in the new year on Jan. 9. The SGO staff wishes for all members and the patients they serve to have a happy and healthy holiday season.
The 2020 election for the SGO Board of Directors is open through January 20, 2020, 11:59 p.m. CST. The ballot emailed to all members from firstname.lastname@example.org will contain the position(s) for which you are eligible to vote. Candidate information is available on the online ballot. To cast your vote, please click on or copy and paste the entire URL into your browser address bar. Full Members are eligible to cast votes for the following positions: President Elect II, Secretary-Treasurer Elect, and Board Member. Fellow-in-Training Members are eligible to vote for the Fellow-in-Training Member Representative. For more information, contact SGO Manager of Governance, Jennifer Ocampo-Martinez at 1 312 676-3916 or email@example.com.
Thank you for your continued support of SGO. As the Society’s 50th anniversary year winds down, you can still learn about SGO history and listen to member reflections on the SGO50.org website. Photos from the 50th SGO Annual Meeting on Women’s Cancer are available on SGO’s Flickr account and can be downloaded directly from the page.
With the SGO Annual Meeting on Women’s Cancer just a few months away, please be advised that there may be unauthorized businesses contacting SGO members and stakeholders in an attempt to sell them a mailing list of meeting attendees. SGO does not authorize any company to sell the Annual Meeting attendee list and members are advised to ignore such solicitations.