Health Care Reform
Principles for Health Care Reform
The Society of Gynecology Oncology (SGO) is the premier medical specialty society for health care professionals trained in the comprehensive management of gynecologic cancers.
With 2,000 members representing the entire gynecologic oncology care team in the United States and abroad, the SGO promotes excellence in the care of women at risk for or affected by gynecologic cancer through advocacy, education, research, and inter-disciplinary collaboration.
SGO members provide multi-disciplinary cancer treatment including chemotherapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and supportive care. SGO members practice in a variety of settings, including academic medical centers, hospitals, cancer centers, and private practice.
With this as background, the SGO strongly supports the following principles be adhered to by any U.S. health care reform policy:
- Access to high quality, affordable care for all women with gynecologic cancer.
- Coverage of patient costs of clinical trial participation by all private and public health insurance plans.
- Public health funding for gynecologic cancer screening and prevention services for all women and children.
- Medical liability reform that improves patient access to specialty care and reduces health care costs.
- Cancer health equity for minority and underserved women with gynecologic cancer.
- Adequate funding of Medicaid to ensure coverage for elderly, disabled and low-income women with gynecologic cancer.
Effective July 25, 2017