To promote excellence in the care of women at risk for or affected by gynecologic cancer through advocacy, education, research and inter‐disciplinary collaboration.
To eradicate gynecologic cancers
- ADVOCACY: Advance policies that promote the eradication of gynecologic cancer.
- COLLABORATION: Support and promote partnerships to advance the care of women with or at risk for gynecologic cancers.
- DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION: Commit to cultural humility and diversity of thought and engagement.
- EDUCATION: Provide innovative education and continuous learning.
- ENGAGEMENT: Provide opportunities to participate in the progress of the gynecologic oncology profession.
- LEADERSHIP AND PROFESSIONALISM: Set an example of integrity, quality and excellence.
- PATIENT CARE: Foster empathetic, comprehensive and high value care to improve the lives of women with or at risk for gynecologic cancer.
- RESEARCH: Advance innovation and discovery to eradicate gynecologic cancer.
2018-2020 Strategic Goals and Supporting Initiatives
1. ADVANCE AWARENESS OF GYNECOLOGIC CANCERS TO ADVOCATE FOR EQUITABLE QUALITY CARE
- Develop resources, white papers and expert opinions.
- Enhance the image and effective voice of gynecologic oncologists among policymakers, caregivers, patients, organizations and others.
- Identify and minimize barriers to access to the highest quality of cost‐effective care.
- Advocate for an environment that fosters gynecologic oncology clinical trials.
- Increase coverage of gynecologic cancer issues in social media and traditional news media outlets.
2. COLLABORATE WITH OTHER ORGANIZATIONS TO ADVANCE THE SGO MISSION AND VISION
- Build, lead and join alliances with advocacy and patient groups whose objectives and strategies are aligned with those of SGO.
- Align with organizations that support, influence and actively promote gynecologic cancer care, prevention and treatment.
3. IMPROVE ORGANIZATIONAL EFFECTIVENESS BY EXCELLING IN GOVERNANCE, OPERATIONS AND STEWARDSHIP
- Promote greater diversity and transparency of representation of women and minorities across the career spectrum, along with geographic and workforce balance in SGO’s meetings, education, research, governance, committees and staff.
- Review current operations and restructure as needed to support the goals and strategies of the organization.
- Provide membership transparent overview of programmatic activity and budget.
- Develop effective strategies to diversify SGO’s revenue stream.
4. INCREASE AND DIVERSIFY MEMBERSHIP
- Identify and serve the evolving needs of SGO members as well as the field of gynecologic oncology.
- Build meaningful, effective and efficient tools to help members connect, network and collaborate.
- Expand and diversify the community of members, customers, consumers and organizations who value SGO resources.
5. INNOVATE, ENHANCE AND EXPAND EDUCATIONAL OFFERINGS
- Develop education tailored to the diverse needs of all audience segments.
- Explore opportunities to enhance access to educational programs.
- Identify and partner with relevant organizations.
6. PROMOTE QUALITY RESEARCH IN GYNECOLOGIC CANCERS
- Develop a research portfolio that focuses on improving the care of women with or at risk for gynecologic cancers.
- Establish a clinical research community.
- Establish a mentorship curriculum for research.
- Recruit top research abstracts to be presented at SGO Annual Meeting.
7. SUPPORT PROFESSIONAL AND PRACTICE DEVELOPMENT
- Monitor and address workforce issues and develop programs specific to the changing needs.
- Provide early career and leadership development, mentoring and support.
- Advocate on behalf of SGO members for defining reimbursement and quality metrics.
- Help members negotiate and adapt to the increasing complexity of gynecologic oncology healthcare practice.